If you are selling a product or service online you need to have SEO as part of your marketing mix. Enjoying high rankings for high yield popular search terms is a great way to drive traffic to your site.
As such there are a few things that you need to know about how website design and SEO work together especially when planning to build a new site.
The below post on Search Engine Land is a good read through of points you need to sign off with your design team. Whilst I won’t look to regurgitate everything covered, the following couple of pointers will hopefully peak your interest sufficiently to go and read the full article:
1. If people go on your site and its cluttered and confusing they won’t come back. You need to make things easy for your users by organising the site layout in a logical manner. Use keyword research to help you with planning a logical category, sub-category taxonomy plan.
2. Site speed has an impact on your rankings. As such, ensure your hosting plan is optimal and look into using a CDN if possible. Also ensure your image file size are compressed for optimal page load speeds.
- SEO needs to be built into the web design process from the start.
- The largest source of traffic for most sites is generally organic search.
- Businesses often do not start planing their SEO strategy until after the website has been designed/redesigned. This is a big mistake as it should be included in the planning from the very start.
“At a fundamental level, an SEO-friendly site is one that allows a search engine to explore and read pages across the site.”
Read more: http://searchengineland.com/seo-website-design-everything-need-know-272899